Summer's here and that means much more time outdoors absorbing UV rays and Vitamin D. Here's why you should make sure your vitamin D levels are adequate:
1. Vitamin D protects against cancer. In this study here there is strong evidence that indicates intake or synthesis of vitamin D is associated with reduced incidence and death rates of colon, breast, prostate, and ovarian cancers.
2. Vitamin D reduces inflammation and cytokines.
3. Vitamin D can help depression, anxiety and mood.
4. Vitamin D improves sleep quality. Insomnia much? Check your Vitamin D levels.
5. Lack of Vitamin D contributes to hair loss.
Vitamin D isn't as easy to get in food as we think, so make sure you're spending time outdoors or supplementing. If you chose to supplement make sure you're using Vitamin D3! Please work with your doctor on appropriate dosing. If you're on a strict vegan diet, you're most likely deficient and will need to work with your doctor to supplement.